• Do I need to exchange my driving licence?
  • EU/EER licence
  • Non-EU/EER licence
  • Driving Licence Exchange Service
Do I need to exchange my driving licence?

Driving licence exchange is required in some cases. Whether you’ll need a Dutch driving licence depends on the duration of your stay, and from which country you hold your existing one.

EU/EER licence

When your driving license is issued in an EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Iceland, you only need to exchange your driving licence if it’s expiring. Even with an expired driving licence you can obtain a Dutch one. However, when you still want to drive you always need a valid driving licence!

Non-EU/EER licence

You are allowed to drive in the Netherlands with a valid non-EU/EER driving licence for 185 days (six months) after the first registration at the Dutch town hall. Before the six months have passed, you need to have exchanged it for a Dutch one. Otherwise you will be driving illegally, which may result in a considerable fine. In case of an accident your insurance company may not cover the damages.

Driving Licence Exchange Service

Anywr Netherlands can provide clear instructions and coordinate and (if agreed) accompany the needed appointments for the exchange. Check out our Driving Licence Service. We help you make sure that you drive legally in your new home country!

Our goal is to make moves, so you don’t have to.

“I am totally satisfied with the service. Easy and quick response”

— Shivesh, about a 30% ruling application in March 2023
Scroll to Top