A1 certificates

What You Need to Know about A1 Certificates


A1 Certificates are official documents designating the country where employees or self-employed individuals are subject to social security contributions. These certificates are sometimes also referred to as “A1 Forms,” “Portable Document A1,” or “Certificates of Coverage.”

These certificates are pertinent for people working in:

In this blog, we delve into the world of A1 Certificates, showing their importance, application process, and relevance for international labour mobility.

Understanding A1 Certificates

An A1 Certificate is a formal document confirming that a person is covered by the social security system of their home country. This is highly relevant for those temporarily employed or conducting business in another EEA country, Switzerland, or a treaty country. The certificate asserts that social security contributions are remitted in the individual’s home country, thereby exempting them from contributions in the country of work.

Why A1 Certificates Are Important

A1 Certificates fulfill several critical roles:

  1. Preservation of Social Security Benefits: These certificates maintain the continuity of social security rights like healthcare, pension, and other welfare benefits in the home country while working in another country.
  2. Avoiding Dual Contributions: Lacking an A1 Certificate may compel individuals to contribute to social security schemes in both the home and host countries, thereby incurring unnecessary financial obligations.
  3. Regulatory Compliance: For many, possessing an A1 Certificate is not just advisable but legally obligatory, especially for employers and employees participating in cross-border activities within the EU or EEA. Non-compliance could result in financial penalties.

Who Requires an A1 Certificate?

Typically, the following individuals need an A1 Certificate:

  • Employees temporarily assigned to work in another EEA country, Switzerland, or a treaty country.
  • Self-employed persons operating in another EEA country, Switzerland, or a treaty country.
  • Posted workers (those sent by their employer to temporarily work in another country).

How to Acquire an A1 Certificate

The process of obtaining an A1 Certificate involves several steps:

  1. Identify the Competent Authority: A1 applications must be made in the individual’s home country. The responsible institution varies by country. In the Netherlands, for example, you can apply online, free of charge, through the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) website.
  2. Complete the Application Form: Whether you’re an employer, an employee, or an authorized representative, you’ll need to fill out a comprehensive application form, which generally includes details about the employment, assignment duration, and other specifics.
  3. Submission and Review: Forward the completed application to the pertinent authority for assessment.
  4. Await Approval: Once approved, an A1 Certificate, either digital or in paper form, will be sent to the applicant.
  5. Provide the Certificate: It’s essential for the employee to provide copies of the A1 Certificate to both their employer and the relevant social security institutions in the host country.


A1 Certificates are indispensable instruments for both individuals and employers involved in cross-border employment within the EU, EEA, Switzerland, or treaty countries. Understanding and procuring these certificates is crucial for safeguarding your social security rights while promoting labor mobility and international collaboration.

More info

Do you want to know more about Anywr Netherlands and how we can assist you with your global mobility? Please contact us at info.nl@anywr-group.com.

Scroll to Top